Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Boldest Resolution



I've always found myself conflicted with the concept of 'New Years Resolutions'.  What makes January 1st a better day than any other to do something good for your health, or to make an allegiance to some great concept? It had been a long two weeks since I had taught my last class and I was struggling for something meaningful to say to my students about the new year. As I sat in front of the class and looked into the sea of familiar smiling faces I decided to go for it.  I pulled out my book of yoga inspired poetry, randomly flipped to a page, and started to read. As I read the poem "Maybe Not" (see below) by fellow yoga teacher, Danna Faulds, I got goosebumps.  It was perfect.




I continued to read this poem in classes throughout the week my appreciation for it grew. I wondered how many other people had taken the faithful leap to do something big for the new year, and how many had already fallen short of their idealist view of that change. This poem seemed to offer a new perspective. Maybe faltering and falling short of our ideal is part of an even deeper kind of spiritual growth

I started to think about how common it is for discomfort, doubt, and fear to be seen as enemies of willpower. But what what if each time we experience these discomforts they actually have a strengthening effect on our courage and resolve. Even the word re-solve gives us the clue that it is not something that we do once.  Perhaps it is the constant faltering and daily doubt that create lasting internal resolution and not because we 'like' it, but because it is required.

It takes a lot of courage to begin again after we have failed. I remember learning to snowboard and how many times I fell. Yet every time I stood up, dusted myself off, and tried again (...also a great line by superstar Beyonce) I felt stronger and more confident. Before long I was standing longer than I was sitting. I was never guaranteed a smooth trip down the mountain and there was no sure result that I'd ever make it down without falling, but I aligned myself with resolve and when my instructor said I had "the tenacity of a jack russel terrier," I owned it. As Danna says, "the secret is you can begin again at any time." How refreshing.

So whether you have a spotless new year’s record or if you've fallen off the wagon a few times we salute you.  Change isn't always easy and maybe that is a good thing.

Here at Sky House we are taking on the challenge of a 90-day sugar cleanse. If you want to join us, send us an email and we can send each other encouraging words as we go. We know it is not an easy feat yet each day when we wake up we are committed to starting again and are learning to face the temptations with even greater resolve.  We are also happy to be putting more of our good energy into the things we love.  This season you will find a new Sky House Yoga Class Schedule, Full Moon Ceremonies, A Special Dream Tracking Workshop, The Artist's Way, and an invitation to join our upcoming Herbal, Astrology, and Yoga Training Programs.

Wishing you a wonderful new year and may good health be your faithful companion, peace your guarded ally, and love your perpetual guide.

No comments: